sherabookwhispers

Biting Cold
Chloe Neill
Hidden (Guardians of Time, #1)
Marianne Curley
Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1)
Richelle Mead
Seduced in the Dark
C.J. Roberts
Obsidian
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Silver (The Silver #1)
Cheree Alsop
Inked Magic ( Inked Magic World #1)
Jory Strong
Three to Get Deadly
Janet Evanovich
Passion Play
Beth Bernobich
Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel)
Rachel Vincent
The Darkest Night  - Gena Showalter First up I’m not going to argue which PNR author was “first” or who is better. Which one had THE idea first and who branched off of it—or stole it. No. I will say that if you’ve finally cracked and joined all of the hub-a-bulu about it there’s certain authors who’s names just keep popping up. J.R. Ward, Kresley Cole, Nalini Singh, Karen Marie Moning, Richelle Mead, Jeaniene Frost, Sherrilyn Kenyon, and Gena Showalter are some of the names at the top of the list. So far I’ve tried all of them with pretty decent success rates. Except for Gena Showalter.

One day I picked up DN off of the shelf in the book store and was ready to purchase it. There was an obscenely long line and I decided to start reading it. Twenty pages in I was unimpressed. (Let’s just say I put the book back and bought a better one.) So when a Ebook copy landed in my lap, the first twenty or so pages where just as unimpressive.

The main character is a the damsel in distress, who has a rare gift that makes here a freak to anyone—except her soon to be mate. Besides her cute penchant for romance novels, herself doubt, insecurities, and total lack of a personality make for a boring time. The “soon to be mate” in question also happens to be a cookie cutter guy. He’s a immortal guardian who’s bonded to the Demon of Violence. That means a lot of mean words, thoughts, grrs, and basically alpha attitude. (Basically he could have popped out of any stereo typical romance.)

What did keep me going was the tease of Showalter’s humor that kept popping up, and the wickedly awesome mythology. The idea of men being the ones to open Pandora’s box amuses me beyond belief! Especially since it was as something as silly as making a point to the gods that they should be the ones protecting it. Learning about each warrior and the demon inside them soon became a heady addiction for me.

At the first of the book the Greek gods are in control and within a matter of page turns the Titans have escaped and the new upper management is already making the Lords lives miserable. Those miserable lives actually interested me more than the main couples. Reyes, possessing the Demon of Pain, meets his lady love when they kidnap her and her entire family. The Titans want Arion, Demon of Wrath, to kill them all. If he refuses he will go insane with the need to kill them. This makes for a pretty interesting triangle, the lady love, the man who loves her, and the best friend of the man who loves her want to kill her. So much better than a love triangle!

It’s a fascinating world on one of my favorite mythologies! Taking the old legend of Pandora’s box and giving it a new life. Sure the main focus of this book left a lot to be desired, but everybody needs to find their footing. The couple had enough of a “personality” that at times I found them very cute, and of course cheered them on. The mythology, other Lords of the Underworld, and promising twists of the future books are sure to make up for it.

Sexual Content: Bad language, dirty talk, and sex scenes. One of the Lords is promiscuity so you know things are really gonna get dirty.

2/5- Average/disappointing, library check-out

Originally posted at Book Whispers.