sherabookwhispers

Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires #6)
Chloe Neill
Hidden (Guardians of Time, #1)
Marianne Curley
Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1)
Richelle Mead
Seduced in the Dark
C.J. Roberts
Obsidian
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Silver (The Silver #1)
Cheree Alsop
Inked Magic ( Inked Magic World #1)
Jory Strong
Three to Get Deadly
Janet Evanovich
Passion Play
Beth Bernobich
Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel)
Rachel Vincent
Captive in the Dark - C.J. Roberts One of my GR friends aptly sums up what I was getting into when I picked up this book, "Get ready for a huge mind fuck!" Of course I didn't read that post until I was about 20 to 30 pages in, but once I read those words I knew they were right. This book is one big mind fuck.

Livvie is pulled from her life and wakes up in a new world where she is blind folded and truly a captive of darkness. She's stripped bare of not only her clothes, but of her self. Left defenseless and trying to cling on to her sanity. Caleb is a master at brain washing her. Soon she can't tell when she needs to fight, or when to please the master. It's heart wrenching watching Caleb basically tear her apart and destroy her.

The story is told from both the perspective of the captive (Livvie) and the captor(Caleb). That's where the true mind games start. Readers can't truly hate Caleb as he is a victim from much the same background as the future he's forcing Livvie to live. A Pleasure Slave. He was used and ruined at a younger age, no longer can understand or relate to humanity. (Or at least humanity as we see it.) He's bent on revenge and he needs Livvie to get it. Obviously this book is not black in white. It deals in all the shades of grays. Many times I wanted Livvie to keep fighting, but then the hopelessness of her position bogs me down. One thing I need to make clear is that this is not a Romance. Maybe some readers will interpret it as such.

This book is meant to be dark and scary. It shows that no matter how much we choose to see things as good and evil, that their will always be hidden shades of gray. How do we then choose to condemn someone, justify actions, or even function in an unclear world. Captive in the Dark skillfully shows how someone is broken. How a strong person is torn apart psychology and physically. It's vivid in it's clarity. Many times I kept thinking that CitD gave great insight into how anyone could suddenly find themselves in an abuse relationship.

In the end, I don't think there is anything that can truly express this book. It hurts, scares, and leaves it's reader in a turmoil of thoughts. It's a provoker. It kept me running hot in anger, fear, shame, turned on (yeah, that's where some of the shame came from), and a multitude of emotions I'll probably never be able to figure out. Upon the last page I not only had a overwhelming desire to never leave my home again, but to keep everyone I know locked up in safe little bubbles. For days if not weeks this book echoed in my mind. Haunting my every thought. For me this was not a romance. I fear that Livvie will become trapped by Cable and remain is slave. Hope that Livvie can become Caleb's salvation. That Livvie will escape. That Caleb winds up dead, maybe even by Livvie's hand. Or that Caleb finds his way out. In the end it's not a romance. It's mind fuckery. With beautiful writing. (Though the jump from 1st to 3rd person is slightly disruptive.)

Sexual Content: Dark and graphic sex. Plenty of foul talk. Basically rated X my friends.

4/5- Great! Really enjoyed it.

Originally posted on Book Whispers.