sherabookwhispers

Biting Cold
Chloe Neill
Hidden (Guardians of Time, #1)
Marianne Curley
Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1)
Richelle Mead
Seduced in the Dark
C.J. Roberts
Obsidian
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Silver (The Silver #1)
Cheree Alsop
Inked Magic ( Inked Magic World #1)
Jory Strong
Three to Get Deadly
Janet Evanovich
Passion Play
Beth Bernobich
Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel)
Rachel Vincent
Black Dust Mambo - Adrian Phoenix Thoughts:

Starting off, I really disliked this authors previous book, A Rush of Wings. After I had finished it I was exhausted from forcing myself to through it. It was too wordy, like the author was trying to cram to many words into one sentence. There were so many characters that took turns telling the story that I was afraid when ever I saw a page break or a new chapter starting—I didn't want to start on a new character, or go back to characters I just wasn't interested in. A Rush of Wings was a good idea, don't get me wrong, but it had so many issues that it was boring. The pace slowed it down, jumping from character to character slowed it down more.

So why did I buy this? The cover. That's right I'm a shallow cover lover. With this cover, you can't blame me. The blue hues are so pleasing, the bottles in the tree branches just call to me! The lovely lady on the cover looks like she eats Navy Seals for breakfast.

Luckily the insides of this book are just as appealing as the outsides. It was clear about 3 pages into this book that I was going to love it. Sure there were a couple of moments where the writing felt crammed, but it disappears fast and the rest is smooth sailing.

The reader doesn't spend all that much time with the main character Kallie, which is a shame cause she's a sassy anger management case. Phoenix makes up for it though. Where A Rush of Wings was plagued by the annoyance of one new character after another, characters I really disliked, it was Black Dust Mambo's strength. Even the evil villains take a turn in the narration, and it actually works out really good! The cast is so colorful and all are so easy to sink into. Let me just share some.

Belladonna, Kallie's best friend, who's 100 % evil and absolute fun at a wet boxers competition. Dallas, a family friend of Kallies, who happens to be an adulterous lech. Who just happens to have a bullseye on his head by many husbands. Layne, the hot Nomad man candy who is a vessel that ghosts can take over and use his body. Augustine a dominating Brit, with one heck of a sly attitude. Then Layne-Augustine takes the floor, trust me it's just as fun as it sounds. Then of course a Bondalicious babe. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

This book just kept going and going, and when you thought it was all about Kallies dark birth and past. It ended up throwing a curve ball out there. It's hard to find books that are ambitious enough to create a really good plot, and then include a story arc to fit into the next book.

The humor is off the hook!! Even in the most dramatic parts of the book, Phoenix managed to crack a good one. The bayou humor is so refreshing. I haven't read to many books that have taken place in New Orleans, but this has to be the best one. Usually all the Cajun talk and slang really boggles my mind, this time I was speaking the language.

Only one complaint. The book has a heavy dose of repetitive flash backs. Like Phoenix is trying to make sure that this moment is dramatic, the reader shouldn't miss it. Whether it's one sentence or a couple of paragraphs on repeat.

Bottom Line:

If you're looking for a good time and a great mystery this is the best kind of read. Urban Fantasy readers will love the Hoodoo and Voodoo users, as there aren't too many in the genre. If you were put off by Phoenix's other series, don't be shy to try this out. Black Dust Mambo is a ton of fun, between wet boxer competitions, black voodoo soul eating magic, and twisted plots! Just be prepared for a bit of a cliff hanger.

Sexual Content:

No sex scenes that I can remember. However lot's of sex talk and humor.

Rating: 5/5- Fabulous, a beautiful obsession.