sherabookwhispers

Biting Cold
Chloe Neill
Hidden (Guardians of Time, #1)
Marianne Curley
Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1)
Richelle Mead
Seduced in the Dark
C.J. Roberts
Obsidian
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Silver (The Silver #1)
Cheree Alsop
Inked Magic ( Inked Magic World #1)
Jory Strong
Three to Get Deadly
Janet Evanovich
Passion Play
Beth Bernobich
Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel)
Rachel Vincent
The Witch Collector Part I - Loretta Nyhan ****Review copy received for an honest review.****

Witches are my top favorite paranormal "creatures"—next to shifters of course. They tantalize me whether they be dark and disturbing, or sparkling good. One of the sad parts about witch themed books is that many times they come a crossed too juvenile and undeveloped. The Witch Collector thankfully is one that I can tell everyone the good news about! This is solid craft people!

With that said, this review has taken me so long to put into words. I enjoyed the read and the story was fun. However, I kept trying to remember why I liked the book when there was very little meat to the story. I was nibbling on scraps and by the time I finished reading it I felt . . . hungrier. Then it hit me, I had only read the first half of a book. Don't confuse it with a cliffhanger. All of it was "setup" storylines that make me grumble and moan until I get to the good stuff.

The concept of the witches here are promising and I love what the book is hinting at. Everyone knows how picky I am about my witches, I don't just want happy chanting and pretty rhymes. There's also hints of other magic such as alchemy, demons . . .

The main character's parents haven't given her enough info and they of course vanish and she's left with this whole mystery to solve about her special witch magic. For someone who grew up in a community of witches she's almost as ignorant as the reader. The characters are something that definitely stood out to me, they helped to add depth to the story. The love interest is building up nicely and is hinting at a love triangle . . . and that's where I have to stop.

I know this is something new publishers are trying, but it doesn't work for me. I want to read the whole book, not one half at a time. It feels like I can't accurately review this book. Because at this point it's just an average read, who knows what the other half is going to contribute. Normally I'd give it a 2/5, but the author’s world and writing is strong enough that I feel confidante enough as to where this series is going. Yes, it cuts of right in the middle of where things are finally building up in the story line and we're going to see some action. Despite the standard plot tropes this book is worth a read, and I am looking forward to the next installment!

Sexual Content: Clean, there is some mild sexual content.

3/5- Adored it, just a few minor details held it back.

Originally reviewed at Book Whispers.