sherabookwhispers

Biting Cold
Chloe Neill
Hidden (Guardians of Time, #1)
Marianne Curley
Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1)
Richelle Mead
Seduced in the Dark
C.J. Roberts
Obsidian
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Silver (The Silver #1)
Cheree Alsop
Inked Magic ( Inked Magic World #1)
Jory Strong
Three to Get Deadly
Janet Evanovich
Passion Play
Beth Bernobich
Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel)
Rachel Vincent
The Hunger Games  - Suzanne  Collins The Hunger Games has probably been the most popular series since Twilight and Harry Potter. It’s hard not to hear what people are saying about them at this point. A lot of people think their just an excuse to write about kids killing kids. A chance to spin a love triangle for another “silly YA romance.” In all honesty the reason I’ve put off reading them is simply because popular books usually tend to let me down. Well I can definitely say this book is an exception.

The world that The Hunger Games takes place is a futuristic look where the USA no longer exists, the land is different now, Panem is the new power. The Capital runs the country and the people of the 12 districts are ruthlessly controlled. Starvation is a common thing to die from and people rarely make it to old age. Once a year two children of each sex is drawn to participate in The Hunger Games, where they will fight to the death. The Capitals reminder that rebellion against them is futile and that the people should be grateful to have such a government.

HG is a shocking look into the type of government system that every human fears. Where one wrong word or action could be taken as rebellion against the government, when it was only an act of survival. It’s amazing hearing the indifference of the Capital population about the slaughter of innocents, kids between the ages 12-18. The world is well thought out and a cold slap. One that I thick every reader should experience.

Even though Collins first entry into the series is small and her writing style simple, everything is felt. Every time Katniss avoided death I was their experiencing it, I could believe in her no nonsense character. Each character comes across exactly as the author painted them, caring, frivolous, loving, scary, deadly, and sad. What’s more is the love triangle in her is phenomenal. Katniss is girl who doesn’t want love or the consequences of bringing a child into such a horrible world. Love is nothing she’s pondered about, she has more important things to worry about such as keeping her family alive and fed. This causes the love story to become enchanting as it creeps up on Katniss.

The Hunger Games is well worth all the buzz. It’s raw and haunting, leaving readers to ponder the story long after they’ve read that last page. The romance is beautiful and subtle—and I can count on one hand how many love triangles I’ve read that I can actually say felt real, and I wanted to continue. The first book sparks a fire within to see the Capital fall and the people freed—rebellion. This book played so well with my emotions I know that I’ll follow this series to whatever end.

Sexual Content: Some kissing and stuff. There’s a lot of human cruelty in here.

4/5- Great! Really enjoyed it

Originally reviewed at Book Whispers.