sherabookwhispers

Biting Cold
Chloe Neill
Hidden (Guardians of Time, #1)
Marianne Curley
Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1)
Richelle Mead
Seduced in the Dark
C.J. Roberts
Obsidian
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Silver (The Silver #1)
Cheree Alsop
Inked Magic ( Inked Magic World #1)
Jory Strong
Three to Get Deadly
Janet Evanovich
Passion Play
Beth Bernobich
Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel)
Rachel Vincent
Guardian - S.B. Rodgers Angel and Demons are a lethal combination right now in the paranormal YA genre, one that I've had a really tough time getting into. If it isn't shallow main characters, creepy stalker love interests who stare at their beloved, poor plot lines, or even down right crappy writing. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand is the first YA Angel book I've actually loved and I was craving another fix. Good thing Guardian was waiting for me!

It was a rough start with overly long sentences and the overly descriptive beginning. As soon as the mechanics and plots of Heaven and Hell kicked in I was hooked. Heaven and Hell both want Abby. The mystery is whether they want her dead or alive. Lucifer is the King of Hell and Satan is actually his diabolical wife. The two scheming and plotting was first rate—no poor plot here. Not only did I love the idea of Lucifer and Satan being separate beings, I loved that even Angels might not be all good. This book is witty, dark, slick and sexy—the perfect combination.

Abby is the poor soul caught up in the middle who's at the end of her rope. Her father remarried to a horrible woman with two demonic sons—not really demons—and then her father dies mysteriously, leaving her to the abuse of her new family. Not to mention the abuse of her entire school after a horrible breakup from her ex-boyfriend—who really is a demon. This is a chilly modern day Cinderella story of abuse. Abby is at the brink of suicide and Heaven finally intervenes sending Gabriel as her Guardian. Soon the demon who was sent to steal her soul and the Angel sent to save it find out that there is more to Abby, something her dad died to protect.

The love story here is well done, which is saying a lot fro me since I grew tired of love triangles a long time ago. Raph is the demon sent to steal Abby's soul after making him fall in love with her he breaks up with her in a way so cruel I actually blushed with embarrassment and anger for her. Even though that happened before the book starts the authors do a wonderful job building it into the story line, and amazingly enough making the readers fall in love with the tortured demon. Gabriel is the perfect counter to Raph. He's there for Abby and brings her back from the edge. There's a lot going on in the plot so the romance doesn't get as much page times as other novels would take, but the authors somehow pull it off. The romance is subtle and real enough that I can fall in love right along with Abby.

Despite the overly obvious names for the Demon and Angel love interests, there's nothing average about the love story being weaved here. If you're not into that sort of thing then the politics of Hell and Heaven will keep you captivated. There's murder, torture, and all kinds of dark and seedy things to keep a reader glued to the pages. The cast of characters are very memorable and not only did I find myself caring about the good guys, the bad guys captured my affections in a twisted way. This is the perfect book for fans of the Angel genre or those who haven't been able to quite get into it yet. Be prepared to stay up all night with this one!

Sexual Content: While there's nothing too graphic there's no doubt that sex—rough and cruel—is going on with the demons and maybe some adultery. It's pretty dark but readers shouldn't be nervous about it, or parents.

4/5- Great! Really enjoyed it.

Originally posted at Book Whispers, including review of authors!